Proper cultivation of ornamental sunflower seeds
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The ornamental sunflower is an annual herb. Its sunny flowers will adorn any site. There are more than 150 varieties of sunflower, which makes it possible for each gardener to choose flowers to their own taste.
The purpose of growing ornamental sunflower in the open field
The ornamental sunflower, called helianthus, differs from the agricultural species in its rich sunny flowers. It is grown for creation on the site unique village flavor.
It should be borne in mind that helianthus does not mature and should not be eaten.
Quite often, sunflower can be planted for:
- creating a hedge around the circumference of the fences;
- creating bouquet compositions;
- decoration of flower beds.
The most popular sunflower varieties
The most popular varieties of helianthus include:
- Teddy bear... The annual plant has a compact size (up to 1 m) and blooms with rather large double flowers, painted in bright yellow tones. The flowering period lasts until autumn.
- Red sun... A type of sunflower that has bright red-brown petals. Plant height reaches 2 m, and the flowering period is quite long
- Vanilla ice grown to create bouquets. The flowers have a delicate vanilla color and very favorably emphasize the tenderness of the floral arrangement.
- Moulin Rouge... A sunflower with an unusual color scheme. The petals of burgundy-red tones lighten closer to the edges, and become very dark towards the middle of the flowers.
- Kong - the highest representative of the sunflower. The plant reaches a height of 5 m. As a rule, such plants are planted near fences and tied up, since sunflowers break with strong gusts of wind. This variety makes wonderful and colorful hedges.
- Teddy bear... In this variety, the flowers look incredibly rich - terry, fluffy with a bright yellow tint, they look spectacular in flower arrangements.
- Orange sun... The decorative sunflower begins its flowering period in July and pleases with its dark red flowers until September. It should be borne in mind that the plant loves open sunny areas. It tolerates drought well and loves sunny warm days.
Before planting, it is necessary to choose the most favorable area for the growth of an ornamental plant. When choosing a place, it should be remembered that the following areas are best suited for planting a decorative sunflower:
- protected from gusts of wind;
- located in the open air;
- with a good level of drainage.
Decorative sunflower will not be able to grow on soil of high acidity... Planting seeds is possible from early May to mid-July.
To obtain a flower garden with a continuous flowering process, it is best to plant seeds at intervals of 7-14 days.
When planting helianthus, it is necessary to strictly observe the sowing technology:
- First thing soak the seeds... To do this, we wrap them in a material soaked in resin infusion. The recipe for the infusion - a liter of warm water will require a couple of tablespoons. ash.
- We dig holes, the depth of which reaches 5.5-6 cm.
- We deepen into each hole a few seeds by 2-2.5 cm.
- The distance between the sprouts should be approximately 45-50 cm depending on the variety. The largest varieties should be placed at a distance 70 cm apart.
- Rows should be spaced apart 70-80 cm.
- After sowing the beds, they should be rolled in.
- The first shoots of seedlings appear after 7-11 days.
Decorative flower care
Decorative sunflowers require timely care:
- Flowers should be watered enough often and abundantly, since the root of an annual plant reaches a depth of 2-2.5 m. In hot weather, the soil is moistened several times a day. It is especially important to water the plants until the period of full formation of 4 pairs of foliage, budding and flowering.
- Helianthus needs enhanced nutrition... For these purposes, you should purchase granular superphosphate, which will need to feed the sunflower and water it abundantly at the time of development of the 5th leaf. As soon as the baskets begin to form, the plant is fertilized with mullein infusion in a ratio of 1:10. Potassium sulfate is also added. If bubbles begin to form on the foliage of the helianthus, the plant should be fed with a boron-containing solution.
- Periodically, it is necessary to inspect the state of the plantings in order to timely identify the activity of pests or the beginning of the development of the disease.
- Every 7-10 days it is required to carry out loosening the soil and removing weeds.
Diseases and pests
Despite the external power and invulnerability of plants, it should be borne in mind that insufficient care can provoke the occurrence of diseases such as:
- black spot;
- gray spot;
- stem phomosis;
As soon as signs of one of the listed diseases were found on one of the plants, it is necessary to spray the plantings using systemic fungicides.
For these purposes, perfect fit Apron and Cruiser.
Helianthus can infect and viral infections:
- greening of inflorescences.
This disease is transmitted by insects. Also, it can seriously harm the development of a solar flower. broomrape (a parasitic flowering plant with a completely absent root system). Broomrape sprouts fully penetrate the roots of sunflowers and feed on them.
When growing helianthus, beware of the following pests:
- May beetle larvae;
- meadow moths.
To destroy pests, it is advisable to use insecticidal and acaricidal preparations, which include Agravertine, Volley, Akarin.
Application in landscaping and combination with other plants
When using flowers of 2-3 species of various heights, you can make up a colorful one with bright colors of helianthus flower bed... Having planted compact sunflower varieties along the edges of garden paths you can make them especially amazing during the daytime. Tall sunflower species will be great hedge.
When decorating a flower bed, it is worth considering the basic rules of landscape design:
- It is better to plant yellow inflorescences of plants next to flowers of blue, purple and white shades.
- Decorative sunflowers will create a unique composition in combination with chrysanthemum, chamomile, white lyatrix, lavender and delphinium. If desired, you can complement the composition with wildflowers of bright colors.
By decorating garden plots with sunflowers, you can add coziness and saturation to the local areas.
In recent years, sunflower has gained widespread popularity. in creating bouquets... When composing the composition, chic sunny inflorescences are complemented by asters, gladioli, chrysanthemums and roses. The main advantage of using sunflowers in bouquets is the preservation of its freshness over a long period of time.
Growing decorative sunflowers does not require much time and physical costs. The most important thing is not to forget about the systematic watering of plants, weeding the beds and loosening the soil.
Once the inflorescences have wilted, they can be removed with a knife. After that, the helianthus should be cut at the root... If desired, you can collect seeds for the next planting work.
Unpretentious plants of extraordinary beauty will emphasize the individuality of the garden area. Sunny inflorescences will delight the owners with their appearance every day and create a cozy home atmosphere.
In Europe, the sunflower has been known for more than 500 years, it is constantly admired, songs are composed about it, it is in many paintings by famous artists. To date, breeders have bred over 150 different varieties of ornamental sunflowers, and new varieties and hybrids appear every year. There are tiny decorative flowers, and there are giant plants, the colors can be from pale cream to bright red, uniform and heterogeneous.
Today, decorative sunflower can be found in almost every part of our planet, it is in Europe, America, Japan, and Africa. Not far from Vienna there is a "Sunflower Park", which presents both decorative and oilseed varieties, as well as wild representatives of this genus. The park is very popular among tourists who come to admire this beautiful plant.
Ornamental varieties have gained their popularity due to the variety of shapes and colors, in addition, caring for and growing them is simple and affordable. Depending on your preferences, you can grow varieties in your garden that are no more than 30 cm in height, or those that grow up to 3 or more meters in height, with one or more stems.
You can choose for yourself plants with a stem thickness of up to 5-20 cm, and they will help you hide a part of the house or yard that does not look very beautiful, and the variety of colors allows you to choose a plant that organically fits into any exterior.
The most common type of sunflower in Russia is this is the oilseed helianthus... The culture has seeds. Homeland is North America. Even the ancient Indians revered this flower, which they associated with the sun god. The sunflower was eaten in the form of flour. This amazing bush was brought to our country by Peter I. Thanks to him, vegetable oil appeared in Russia, which can also be used in fasting. That is why it is called lean.
Ornamental sunflowers appeared a little later and are now widespread throughout the world. Thanks to breeders, more than 200 varieties of sunflower have been bred.
There is a beautiful legend about the girl Xochitlwho waited for the sunrise and watched it during the day. The luminary never hid behind the clouds, which caused a severe drought. The Aztecs begged for water from the gods. Xochitl asked the sun god Tonatiu to cover the sky with clouds so that it would rain. Her wish came true, but the girl herself suffered and died away without her beloved luminary. Then Tonatiu told her to go to a sacred place where the sun never sets. There, the girl became a big bright flower that watched her idol all day.
Popular varieties of decorative sunflower with a description and photo
Decorative sunflower "Terry bear cub » . An annual plant. Stems are erect, up to 40 cm high. Flowers up to 15 cm in diameter, double, bright yellow in color. Seeds are sown in April-May directly in open ground. Annual flowers are generally unpretentious - drought-resistant, do not require special care. They differ in a variety of colors. From annuals, you can arrange parterre (carpet) flower beds, rabatki, mixborders. A variety of color patterns from annual flowers will create a festive design on the site. Annual flowers are designed to shock and surprise with their brightness. They seem to call for a luxurious holiday and a cheerful mood. They should be planted at the entrance, facade or in public places in all flowerpots.
Package "Economy" weight - 0.4 g seed
Wholesale and retail price
Decorative sunflower "Teddy » . An annual ornamental plant up to 180 cm high, which forms large, double, bright orange inflorescences-baskets. The culture is widely used for vertical decoration, as a decorative hedge, and for cutting. The plant is quite thermophilic, drought-resistant, needs beautiful lighting and fertile soil. Annual flowers are designed to shock and surprise with their brightness. They seem to call for a luxurious holiday and a cheerful mood. They should be planted at the entrance, facade or in public places in all flowerpots.
Package "Economy" weight - 0.2 g seed
Wholesale and retail price
Mexican sunflower »Tithonia » . Annual plant up to 1.3 m high. Branching is very strong from the base of the stem. The form of the plant is spreading. The flowers are large red-orange, 7-10 cm in diameter. It blooms very profusely and for a long time. The plant is very decorative both in single and in group plantings. It is thermophilic, photophilous, responsive to feeding and watering. Propagated both by seedlings and by sowing in the ground.
Package "Economy" weight - 0.4 g seed
Use in garden design
In the decoration of garden plots, both single plantings of a decorative sunflower and a combination with other flowers are widely used. The plant decorates flower beds and hedges, creates a bright accent and forms a rustic interior.
When forming a joint flower bed, it is worth planting yellow sunflowers in combination with blue, purple or white flowers. Large inflorescences are in good harmony with chrysanthemums, lavender, small wildflowers, white liatrix and delphiniums.
Decorating fences, compost heaps, buildings
Low-growing sunflowers can be planted along the edge of garden paths and at the edge of hedges. High grades look good against the background of blank walls of buildings. Lush plants can hide unattractive compost heaps from view. Sunflowers also make a good backdrop for rustic garden designs.
Not too large bright baskets of sunflowers are used by florists to create original bouquets. The inflorescences create a good harmony with roses, gladioli, asters and chrysanthemums. Sunflowers keep their freshness for a long time and do not overpower other flowers.
Ornamental sunflower pests
Among the numerous pests of sunflower, the following are considered especially dangerous for the plant: the sunflower moth - its caterpillars damage the achenes, as well as the sunflower barbel and sunflower spikelet, which completely eat away the core of the plant stem.
Ornamental sunflower must be protected from pests
Also one of the most vicious enemies of the sunflower is the broomrape - a flowering annual plant that "settles" on the roots of the sunflower and leads to the death of the plant.
Growing decorative sunflowers through seedlings
The soil for sowing annual sunflowers is standard, universal, nutritious and loose, but not with a slightly acidic, but neutral or slightly alkaline reaction. But containers need to be given more attention: sunflowers do not like transplanting, in order to avoid root injuries, it is better to sow them in individual cups or peat pots.
Sowing seeds is carried out depending on the desired planting time in the soil. Since the grown seedlings are not frost-resistant, planting can be carried out only in late May-June, and sowing of seeds - in late April or early May (20-25 days before planting in a permanent place). But the main thing that you need to focus on is the intensity of lighting, the ability to organize supplementary lighting.
Seeds are sown in 2-3 pieces in personal cups, removing weaker plants from emerging seedlings. Sunflower is germinated under glass or film, sowing is carried out to a depth of 1.5-2 cm into moist soil. Any temperature for germination is suitable within the limits of room indicators, but the lighting should be very bright.
Growing a decorative sunflower.
Growing sunflower seedlings is not an easy task.With a lack of light, the plants turn out to be weak, the stems bend, the plant stretches and sometimes does not look like itself. For sunflowers, only a place on the southern windowsill or with supplementary lighting is suitable. Soil moisture should be consistently light. Top dressing is not carried out. Seedlings should be hardened as early as possible.
Planting of decorative sunflowers grown through seedlings is possible only at the end of May or June, after the threat of return frost has disappeared. Plants are planted in the same way as they were sown in open soil, at a distance of 30-70 cm. The earth lump around the roots cannot be destroyed. Care for young seedlings is similar to care for young seedlings.