How to deal with spider mites at home
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The spider mite is considered one of the most ubiquitous. It affects almost all plants, the only exceptions are aquatic ones. It's not a shame, but any houseplant will eventually have to face a similar problem. And if there are flowers in the room, then it is recommended to prepare for a long battle with this harmful insect, because it is almost impossible to prevent its attack.
The tick is able to get into the room in any way - through the windows, introduced on a flower bouquet, in the folds of outerwear, with soil for plant transplantation. And if you have already discovered the presence of an unpleasant enemy, you must take all measures to completely destroy it.
What does a spider mite look like?
The size of an insect depends entirely on the level of its fatness. The length of the female reaches 0.4 - 0.6 mm, the male is not so large - does not exceed 0.45 mm... Pests can look like an ellipse, soft-bodied, the upper part of the body is convex, the bottom is even.
At the larval stage, the pest is transparent, colored in light green or green-brown tint... On the sides there are a pair of distinct dark spots formed by transparent sacs of the midgut. From August to the onset of the spring season, females differ orange-red shade. The adult has eight legs, while the larva has only six.
The most famous pests are distinguished:
- red spider mite;
- red-footed tick;
- spider mite Savzdar;
- Atlantic spider mite.
Several generations live in the interweaving of the web. Mite reproduces quite quickly... Individuals mature in about three weeks from the moment the female lays eggs.
The reproduction of the insect can be negatively affected by a decrease in temperature, a high level of air humidity. The same conditions can slow down the development of the larvae themselves. If the climate improves, then the danger of mass infection is quite likely.
The spider mite is able to move quickly enough.
What plants are affected at home and in the garden
The habitat is top and bottom sides of foliage, stems and fruits... If the number of pests is large, then a cobweb can be distinguished on the plants, among which pests are swarming. A little later, the cobweb stretches over the leaves, braids around the stem.
The tick is capable of infecting indoor flowers, cherries, vegetables and fruit crops, trees in the garden and at home. Most often, roses, chrysanthemums, crotons suffer from it.
How to deal with spider mites in the garden
Unfortunately, there is not yet a method of struggle that is capable of destroying the spider mite the first time. In most cases it is required two or more treatmentsuntil the last parasite is gone from your plants. And in such a struggle, all means are good.
The use of special drugs
The tick belongs to the arachnids, so it is impractical to use insecticides in the fight against it.
They will better help fight the pest acaricides and insectoacaricides... From a large number of drugs, the following are distinguished:
- Actellic - toxic composition. The product is intended to fight the tick, it is recommended to treat it with massive lesions, when other drugs do not give the desired effect. When spraying plants, one must not forget that the drug is highly toxic. Treatments must be carried out outdoors or in a well-ventilated room;
- Fitoverm - another drug that helps get rid of a spider pest. It is less toxic and allows you to work even in small spaces. But do not relax - do the treatment quickly, then wash your face and hands, change your outerwear. To get rid of the tick with such treatments, you should carry out up to four procedures at weekly intervals;
- Neoron - with the help of such a chemical agent, it is possible to destroy not only adults, but also their eggs. You just need to sew a couple of treatments, and the plants will be saved .;
- In addition to the listed formulations, you can apply Sunmite, Aktofit, Akarin, Vermitek and others. Many claim that it works perfectly on the pest of Aktar. In this way, it is enough to shed soil around the plant to get rid of the problem that has arisen.
Using folk remedies
- Ultraviolet - the tick does not tolerate it, and during the day it tries to hide from the sunlight under the foliage. It is enough to illuminate the plants with a lamp once a week for a couple of minutes to improve their resistance to many diseases. Such a procedure does not pose a danger to plants if special ultraviolet lamps are used;
- Alcohol processing - gives excellent results. The surface of the leaves is moistened with cotton wool or from a small spray bottle, after which the alcohol needs a little time to completely evaporate. Use pure alcohol, do not dilute with water, otherwise burn spots may remain on the surface of the foliage when it evaporates. After about seven days, the treatment is recommended to be repeated;
- Black henbane - a poisonous plant. It should be collected in the fall or with the onset of spring. It is used in the form of infusions, powders and decoctions. To prepare the infusion, take a kilogram of a crushed dry plant, pour a bucket of water, insist for twelve hours. Then everything is filtered, several tens of grams of soap are added. The broth is made from dried herbs. It is boiled for several hours, cooled, filtered, diluted with water to a ten-liter volume.
- Garlic - five hundred grams of garlic must be chopped, filled with three liters of water, insisted in a dark room for five days, filtered. 60 ml of infusion is diluted in a bucket of water, a little liquid soap is added, and spraying can be performed;
- Gray alder - water in the amount of ten liters is heated, two to four hundred grams of the crushed plant are added, insisted for three hours. The infusion is recommended to be applied immediately. Plants are treated for the first time after the foliage has blossomed. The procedure is repeated after flowering. If necessary, the treatment is carried out again, after waiting two weeks.
Preventive methods for the appearance of spider mites on plants
The main prerequisite for a pest attack is dry air and a low level of humidity. Therefore it is recommended ventilate the room, humidify the air, irrigate.
When spraying plants, you should be careful - water should not remain in the axils of the foliage for a long time, so as not to cause decay. You should be especially careful in winter, when after the treatment, the water evaporates longer than usual.
Do not completely submerge the flower in water. A spider mite is able to protect itself with an air bubble, which it covers when it comes into contact with water.
In order to reliably protect your plants from a harmful parasite, it is recommended to periodically carefully examine them for the appearance of cobwebs and insects. Timely action will help you save your cultures by banishing the unwanted enemy forever. And not only chemical preparations will help in this, but also simple folk methods that remain always reliable.
Fighting spider mites on a rose with chemicals and folk remedies
One of the common problems in growing flowers is their infestation with a small pest - a tick. Despite its small size, it does serious damage to plants. In the absence of proper treatment, appropriate treatments, they soon die. You can cure a room rose if you know how to deal with a spider mite.
Spider mite control methods
All measures for the destruction of the parasite on indoor plants can be divided into 2 groups: traditional methods and the use of special drugs against these animals.
When answering the question of how to deal with spider mites on flowers, you need to assess the degree of leaf damage using a magnifying glass. At the initial stage of settling animals, it is enough to use one of the folk methods or a single spraying with a chemical.
Folk remedies are not always effective and are recommended as auxiliary ones. The first measure that will significantly reduce the mite population is to thoroughly wash the entire plant. The use of soap solutions in this case is undesirable, because on the inner side of the leaf there are special pores through which the flower breathes. The soapy solution clogs these holes, making it difficult for oxygen and carbon dioxide to reach the cells. It is enough just to wash the flower with clean water for several days in a row.
At the same time they wash the window sill, the pot itself and all the neighboring flowers. The diseased plant is isolated. You can cover the flower with a plastic bag for 3 days. The pests will die from high temperature and humidity. But the plant must be constantly watered and monitored so that it is not damaged by the increased temperature.
In addition to clean water, they fight spider mites at home with the help of wormwood decoctions, dandelion or garlic infusion:
- Finely chop 2 heads of garlic, pour 1 liter of boiled water. The mixture is covered with a lid and left for 5 days in a cool dark place. Then the solution is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 1 and the affected flower is sprayed with it.
- 100 g of onion husks are infused in 5 liters of pure water for 5 days. The finished infusion is filtered, washed or sprayed with plants.
Pest on vegetables - how to fight?
The spider mite has preferences among vegetable crops, most often it chooses cucumbers, melons, eggplants, peppers. Phytophages feel especially good in the greenhouse. Here they are protected from bad weather and temperature fluctuations. A high reproduction rate under favorable conditions leads to a rapid infestation of all vegetables.
The result of the vital activity of the pest is:
- mechanical damage to the back of the leaves
- retardation of ovary development
- when a spider mite appears on cucumbers, the upper tier of plants is braided with cobwebs
- there is a violation of the processes of photosynthesis
- necrosis develops, the plant deforms and dries up
- the yield is drastically reduced.
Attention. The natural enemy of the spider mite, Phytoseiulus persimilis, is used in greenhouses to kill pests. The predator feeds exclusively on this species, it is absolutely not dangerous for plants and humans.
Spider mite prevention
Spider mites can enter your home in two main ways: with a new plant or through a window. In order to significantly reduce the risk of a tick entering the house, it is necessary to keep any new plant bought in a store (even a checked one) separately for the first time until the absence of diseases and pests is confirmed.
A pest can enter a window along with a stream of wind, especially in hot and dry weather. Of course, we cannot keep the windows permanently closed (stale air is no less destructive for plants than a spider mite), so we need to create the most uncomfortable conditions for the mite in the house itself:
- Spider mites do not tolerate high humidity. Use a humidifier and damp mop regularly. If your plants are not desert and dry lovers, spray them regularly. The mite, as a rule, lives on the underside of the leaf, so it is this that you need to pay attention to when spraying.
- Wash plant leaves with soapy water once a week. This puts the tick to suck the juice out of them, and therefore the pest will quickly die of hunger.
- Moisture-loving plants can be washed 1-2 times a week under a warm shower. Ficuses and ivy are especially well tolerated. Ticks that may be on their leaves will die from streams of warm water.
What to do with succulents? These indoor pets do not tolerate spraying, moisture on the leaves and high humidity in general - how to protect them from spider mites? Fortunately, this pest does not threaten succulents. The fact is that succulents have fleshy leaves with a dense shell, which the tick simply cannot bite through.
Spider mite: how to deal
The spider mite is a malicious parasite that is dangerous to any plant, indoor or outdoor. In the early stages of a plant disease, recognizing it is problematic. To protect them, you need to know how to get rid of the spider mite.
The content of the article:
The main signs of pest damage
Fighting a spider mite requires some knowledge about it. When a pest appears, the plant begins to wilt gradually. The mite feeds on sap from leaves and shoots, so it begins to lack the necessary vitamins and minerals.
The main sign of plant damage is the appearance of a cobweb on the inside of the leaf. Sometimes it entangles the whole plant. In such advanced cases, the fight against spider mites may not bring results and the plant will die. Other signs include:
- • the appearance of small yellow dots
- • the presence of punctures on the leaves of the plant.
Ways to move the parasite to a healthy plant
The tick easily moves from a diseased plant to a healthy one. If no signs of the disease were previously identified, then the parasite could enter the plant through the air or soil (during transplantation). Disease prevention is the best remedy for spider mites.
The pest does not like moisture. He prefers a dry place to live. Watering the flowers daily with plain water will create a moist environment and keep the tick away.
Ultraviolet light has a beneficial effect on plants. It increases their resistance to disease. It is enough to direct an ultraviolet lamp at them several times a week and you can forget about the tick.
New plants must first be moistened with water and treated with plant acaricides. Plants can be placed in plastic bags for maximum effect. Such actions should be repeated for 3 days, then the flower can be placed next to other indoor flowers.
Parasites can move through the ground. Before transplanting, it must be warmed up in the oven. Individuals die under the influence of high temperatures.
Useful tips for plant infestation
All yellow leaves must be removed from the infected plant. They are a favorable environment for the further spread of the disease. Torn leaves should not be left in the plant pot. If the flower is completely infested with a spider mite, then it must be thrown away.
Further recommendations on how to get rid of a spider mite are reduced to constant moistening of the plant from a spray bottle and wiping its sheets with soapy water. You can eliminate the focus of infection in this way in a week. If, upon examination, yellow dots were found, then after 5-7 days the procedure should be repeated.
Spider mite: control methods
A proven way to get rid of a spider mite is to rub the leaves of a plant with isopropyl alcohol. It must be applied to a napkin and wiped the inside of the flower leaves with it.
The fight against spider mites is possible with the help of acaricides. These are herbal preparations that eliminate the parasite in record time and do not harm the plant. The following drugs have proven to be effective:
- • feverfew. It is a powerful pesticide. The results of its use are visible after a few days.However, some parasites managed to develop resistance to it.
- • Brown stone. Represents a product made from cinnamon oil. This is a deadly spider mite remedy. It only eliminates adults. It is necessary to process the leaves several times a week in order to get rid of the newly appeared offspring.
- • Neem oil. It is a universal remedy for fighting harmful insects. It is enough to apply it to the infected plant once a week.
Good to know! It is not recommended to use herbal preparations to combat spider mites on a systematic basis. To them, the parasites begin to develop immunity.
Spider mite: how to fight at home
A unique way to get rid of spider mites is to make a special herbal tea. Its ingredients are cinnamon, cloves, hot seasoning and ground garlic. The proportions of the components in homemade acaricide are as follows: 1: 1: 1: 2. The unit of measurement is tablespoons. All ingredients are mixed and brought to a boil. Then liquid soap is added to them. To eliminate parasites, it is necessary to spray the leaves of plants with this solution for a week at intervals of 3 days.
Essential oils have a detrimental effect on the pest. The mite especially dislikes rosemary oil. It must be moved with water and spray the inside of the leaves with this solution.
Good to know! Rosemary oil kills the parasite, but is completely harmless to other insects.
A sure remedy for spider mites is fatty acids. They are effective against parasites that prefer a dry environment. The acids should be applied in the evening to keep the plant in a moist environment for longer.
Some insects kill ticks. Methods of dealing with the latter should not eliminate ladybirds and predatory thrips. It is strictly forbidden to use drugs such as carbaryl and malathion. They decrease all insects in a row.
A spider mite is dangerous for any plant. Methods for dealing with it can include both herbal preparations and homemade solutions.
How to get rid of spider mites on indoor plants
The insect is found on almost all indoor plants, but there are varieties that are most susceptible to this pest.
Cobweb on a room rose, how to deal
If a rose grows at home, spiders may also appear on it. What to do if a cobweb appears on indoor flowers:
- First of all, you need to wash the bush with soapy water to reduce the population.
- Water the flower abundantly with cold water.
- You can spray the foliage with an infusion of onion peel or garlic.
If folk methods do not help, you will have to resort to using chemicals. The bush is sprayed with Neoron or Actellik preparations. 1-2 treatments will be enough. Protect hands and eyes while spraying. These drugs are highly toxic. After the procedure, the flower must be rearranged into a non-residential room and the room where the treatment took place must be ventilated.
Spider mite on a room rose
Red spider mite on orchids, how to fight at home
The orchid is another houseplant that, if not properly cared for, suffers from spiders. A red or false mite appears most often on an orchid. It is much more difficult to recognize it, because a cobweb does not appear on the foliage from it. You can meet him on the inside of the foliage plate. He can get into the house from the street through open windows.
How to deal with spider mites at home on indoor plants:
- The orchid needs to be rinsed under the shower and wrapped in a bag. In conditions of high humidity, most of the insects die.
- Another effective measure is chemical treatment. You need to use substances to combat spider mites.
Note! During processing, it is worth knowing that insects quickly develop immunity to chemicals, so it is better to buy several drugs and alternate them.
Cyclamen mite on violets and fight against it
Before poisoning pests, you need to provide the violets with optimal conditions. Conditions for violets:
- The temperature in the room should be no more than +24 degrees.
- The optimum humidity level is 45%.
- Good lighting with diffused light.
- Daylight hours for 10-12 hours.
- Correct watering.
- It is recommended to treat violets with acaricidal preparations. You can use Mobento, Sunmight, Donnie Getter.
- It is better to use several drugs with different active substances at once so that the pest does not develop immunity.
- It will take 3-5 treatments at intervals of a week.
- In addition to the violets themselves, all neighboring plants should be treated. Most likely, they are also infected. This method will quickly destroy the entire population.
As a preventive measure, you need to constantly tear off dried leaves and peduncles, do not put the pots close to each other and rinse the foliage under the shower in hot weather.
Spider mite on geranium
First, you need to cut off all damaged parts of the plant. They should look curled up. Then you need to rinse the geraniums under a warm shower and cover the plant for several days with a plastic bag.
Processing with onion peel infusion also helps. To prepare it, you need to pour 100 grams of dry onion husks and put on medium heat. Boil for 15 minutes. Wait until the broth has cooled, then remove the husk. Spray geranium infusion until the spiders disappear. It should be noted that ticks appear extremely rarely on geraniums.
If these methods do not help, you need to resort to using chemicals. You need to apply them according to the instructions. Usually one treatment is enough. In more advanced cases, a spraying course will be required.
Spider mite on balsam
The reasons for the appearance include improper care. Usually, a pest epidemic begins after the heating batteries are turned on. As in other cases, you can fight with acaricidal drugs or resort to using folk remedies.
In addition to garlic and onion broth, the infusion of dandelion roots helps. To prepare it, you need to take 30 grams of dandelion roots and pour 100 ml of boiling water. Leave to infuse for 12 hours. Then pour into a spray bottle and spray with balsam twice a day.
As a preventive measure, in the summer, balsam should be taken out into the street or onto the balcony. Once every 3 months, balsam is sprayed with Fitoverm. The flower should be sprayed regularly with warm water. As you know, dry air is one of the main factors in the appearance of an insect in an apartment on indoor plants.
Spider mite on Benjamin's ficus
Small populations of spiders on ficus can be destroyed by folk methods. For example, you can try to fix the problem with a soapy solution:
- To prepare it, you need to take laundry soap and grate it.
- Add a little water, stir so that you get a thick homogeneous mass.
- Rub each leaf and stems thoroughly with a sponge.
- While wiping, the soap suds should get onto the soil.
- The foam destroys eggs that are in the ground.
Note! If you have pure rubbing alcohol in your home, you can use that too. Unlike soap solution, it has a milder effect and will not do much harm to the ficus itself. All foliage and stems are carefully wiped with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. If necessary, the procedure can be repeated several times.
Spider mite on cyclamen
The most dangerous species that affects indoor flowers is the cyclamen tick. It is found on violets, cyclamen, balsam and a number of other indoor plants. The main danger is that the pest multiplies very quickly and any delay can cost the flower its life.
- The buds are formed deformed.
- Inflorescences bloom small.
- Leaves curl.
At the first suspicion, it is worth immediately isolating the diseased flower from other plants. Cyclamen is washed under a shower with warm water. Then you need to cut off all damaged areas and leave the pot for 15 minutes in warm water. After this procedure, the cyclamen is moved to a warm place. The main thing is that bright sunlight does not fall on it.
The spider mite is a dangerous insect that causes serious damage to indoor plants. You need to get rid of it immediately. For the fight, you can use both chemicals and folk remedies.